Monday, April 30, 2007

Nashville is Hilly!

Last Saturday, I completed my first half marathon in Nashville. It was a lot of fun (I can say that now) and I think that I'll try it again next year. This time though, I will train for the hills! I forgot that Nashville is in a valley of rolling hills and the 13.1 mile course was very challenging.
It was great having friends and family on the course cheering. Tiffany got me through a rough spot around mile 9 by running with me. I was having so much fun talking to her while she ran with me that I missed the mile 9 marker. After she turned around, I saw Eric's family and wanted to stop and get an iced latte! Eric told me to get a move on because I only had 4 miles left (easy for him to say!) However, a few minutes later I saw the 10 mile marker and realized I was a 5K away from the finish line. That got me through and after a lovely jog through the Capitol area (and cheering on from Katy) I made it to LP stadium and finished in two hours and twenty eight minutes. My time wasn't world class or even age best, but my goal was to run the whole way and finish feeling happy and healthy with no injuries. I met my goals and even though I'm struggling a bit getting up and down stairs, I'll be back next year. Anyone want to join me?

4 comments:

TT said...

I think I'll be up for running the half marathon next year (the little jaunt at mile nine was fun, so why not do the rest?) It was fun to see you guys!

The Asian Sensation said...

how abount i do what tiffany did and run just a "jaunt". my poor knees and lungs wouldn't last 13 miles. heck, maybe i'll just go and do what eric did. eat. :) mmm, that sounds good. :)

debchastain said...

5Ks have so far been my limit, i might one day go so far as a 10K, but sorry, no interest in running 13 miles. i'd rather be dancing, hiking, swimming, playing ultimate, disc golfing or having a root canal. but, by all means, have fun (though maybe i should go to nashville with you so someone else would keep cache :0)

Buckingham Palace said...

Walking to the bathroom and back tires me out at the moment. But I should have my body back by then.. so maybe. Oh, who am I fooling, I hate to run. I don't understand the point. I will walk with you though :-) And I will cheer you on!

Sad I missed you in Nashville! Next time you you are here I won't leave town!