Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spring Break & I Heart iPhone

Ah, finally it is spring break. I have not had much time to blog, but now, as I sit at Salvador Deli drinking yummy espresso, it seems like the perfect time.

I don't have any new pictures because they are all on my new iPhone! Most of you know I have been coveting an iPhone for almost a year now. Eric is against spending a lot of money for technology, so I was persistent in my efforts to gain his approval for the purchase. I would set a picture of the iPhone as his desktop, only to get scowls. I would cut out pictures of iPhones and tape them around the house, but they would disappear. I even had outbursts of the word "iPhone" randomly throughout the week. Nothing seemed to work. Then we ended up deciding that I would get a free phone from AT&T and wait another two years for an iPhone. I was sad but figured a new phone might appease me. We never got around to ordering that phone (I couldn't bring myself to do it!) and on Saturday ended up at the Cherry Creek Mall in Denver because we were killing time before picking up the Chastains at the airport. We went to Cherry Creek because they have a cookie shop, but my motive was to make it into the Apple Store and work my magic on Eric. We went into the Apple Store together and Eric's face took on the "iPhone Scowl" as I picked one up and looked at the features. I picked out a case, and he wanted nothing to do with me. I kept on and finally got him to hand over his wallet. He didn't agree with my purchase, i knew, but at least he handed me his wallet, right? He went out of the store while I made the purchase. The Chastains flight was SUPER late so we sat on a couch in the mall and watched the final four-in silence. I really considered taking my purchase back, because what is more important-an iPhone or a marriage? Of course I didn't take it back...instead I opened it and stroked the smooth glass touch screen and read the owners manual, with a guilty conscience. I knew our marriage was strong enough to withstand this!
We picked up the Chastains and they said I was wrong and should take the phone back-especially Blayne. The thing is I paid for the phone with money from what I call "my second job" at Brentwood. So did it really matter? Nah.
The next few days tell everything. Eric began asking to "see" the phone and soon began looking at it with glee as I did. He could watch YouTube anytime, figure out where we were, get directions to any restaurant, and put movies on it to watch while we travel. Then I took the phone over to Blayne to get some help on how to route my Yahoo mail and he fell in love with it. I must say that I am not disappointed. I took it to the gym and the special headphones allow you to be listening to music and click the mouthpiece to answer a call or control the iPod features. The contacts list is limitless, and it beats any PDA I've ever owned. My only concern is the battery life, which I'm sure is fine. I heart iPhone...

Now it is time to get my article submitted for publication, research dragonflies for a possible research opportunity this summer, read a few good books, figure out what I want to do my dissertation on, study for the GRE, plant our garden, landscape our yard, redo our porch, and find time to ride my bike!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

:) We both purchased the iPhone this past fall and have been loving every minute of it. I hear the third generation is soon coming...hope they have update options on anything new and exciting! There's a program called iToner that allows you (on a Mac) to convert any song in your iTunes (not locked) to your iPhone for a ringtone. It works really well. http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/

The Asian Sensation said...

tsk tsk.... i hope your marriage doesn't crumble underneath the credit card bill of the iphone. ;)

What I Did On My Summer Vacation said...

Sooooo jealous. I covet your iPhone.

--Sara